With more than 2 000 years of history, Lyon is an architectural treasure: a part of its city center has been listed UNESCO World Heritage site since 1998, making it the second most important Renaissance site in Europe after Venice.
Lyon is situated between rivers and hills, its 9 boroughs and numerous districts offer a wide range of different atmospheres:
- the old Lyon and its traboules,
- the Croix-Rousse hill, the spirit of Lyon,
- Fourvière and its breathtaking view,
- Lyon Confluence, a modern and surprising neighbourhood,
- the peninsula of Lyon, an elegant city center.
It is also the 2nd cultural and artistic city in France (after Paris). The city is full of museums and vibrates every year thanks to over 21 000 events:
- B.I.G., the International Biennial of Gastronomy (January),
- The thriller festival « Quais du Polar » (April),
- The European night of museums (May),
- The electronic music festival « Nuits Sonores » (May),
- The performing arts festival « Les Nuits de Fourvière » (June/July),
- European Heritage Days (September),
- The Lumière Film Festival (October),
- The Festival of Lights (December) (3 million visitors every year).
To enjoy your stay:
- Lyon City Card: It permits free admissions to 22 museums in Lyon and free and unlimited access to public transport, guided tours and tourist cruises. Overall, it gives access to more than 30 services and 10 discounts in the various attractions of the city.
- Lyon City Greeters: Discover the charms and secrets of Lyon, for free, guided by a local resident!